Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Facebook


A technology that I have decided to discuss is social networking, specifically Facebook. According to lecture it was founded in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg, with help from Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz, and Chris Hughes. In class social networking systems were defined so that they must allow users to construct a public or semi-public profile within a bounded system, articulate a list of other users with whom they share a connection, and view and traverse their list of connections and those made by others within the system. According to our book the way Facebook works is it started out just for Harvard students to stay in contact with each other, then expanding to Yale University, Columbia University and Stanford University. By 2005 it was available to anyone who had a valid email account ending in edu. By 2006 Facebook was offerin its Web site to anyone over the age of thirteen who ha da valid email address. At the time Facebook was unique do to the face that it was the first social networking system to offer the new feed on a user’s home page.  Facebook changed the way people were using websites for social networking. Facebook used a live feed for changes in relationships, jobs, and status updates. Facebook also made microblogging popular, which limited statuses to 420 characters. According to our book there are many problems that have been associated with social networking sites. Some include an issue with unintended privacy and cyber-bullying. Another issue is employment, employers are facing an issue with employees using company time to update and maintain their social networking systems. Many employers are also using social networking sites to vet their employees. According to an article found on PsycINFO, employers are using social networking sites as a source of background information on job applicants. Employers report making decisions not to hire people based on the information posted on social networking sites. The article states that few employers have policies I place to govern when and how these online character checks should be used and how to ensure that the information viewed is accurate. The article then proceeds to talk about how this can be harmful to society. It then provides guidance to employers on when and how to use these sites in a socially responsible manner. It is clear that the internet has drastically changed how people interact, communicate, conduct business, seek jobs, find partners and even shop.

Clark, L.A., & Roberts, S.J. (2010). Employers use of social a networking sites: a socially irresponsible practice. Journal of Business Ethics, 95(4), 507-525.

7 comments:

  1. The topic of Facebook and background checking has become very popular among college students. Facebook is notoriously known for what many people may consider as inappropriate pictures and comments. After the weekend many college students post albums of their weekends out. For some this might include pictures of the student and their friends drinking and bar hopping. Employers have started using Facebook as a resource for background checking. College students need to be a lot more careful about what they are posting online because once it is on there it is on there forever.

    potts.168

    ReplyDelete
  2. Face book definitely changed people’s life. I have friends who are addict to face book. Meaning, they have a habit of checking face book every hour. Also during class they are on face book. I think people are not very concern about privacy. Finding partner on face book can be very dangerous. Not all people can be trusted now days. I think students should stop themselves from posting a lot of private info. Cyber – bulling is a common problem on SSN. I personally do not trust any SSN. I have very limited info.
    patel.1333

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facebook has definitely been the topic of several controversies recently, the biggest one (in my opinion) being that of privacy. The fact that the developers have nearly all of my personal information is a little disconcerting to say the least. However, many people that I see complaining about the lack of privacy are the ones that keep their profiles open for public viewing. Facebook has many privacy settings, you can even block certain people from seeing certain things like your wall or your status, even if you are friends on Facebook. I guess there are pros and cons to everything, but all I have to say is if you are not comfortable with it, then don’t get it.

    zafar.7

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Facebook user in the past, I can now say that Facebook is a waste of time. When I had it in the past, I would get on it before I would do anything. If I went to the library to study, I would first get on Facebook for about ten minutes. No matter what I originally got on my computer to do, I would get on Facebook first. Not only do I find Facebook a waste of time, I also find it a violation of privacy as well. I am fully aware that you can set up your profile to be only seen by your friends, but some also accept people as friends who they don't even know. I think new users should have to go through a quick learning process about the privacy issues and the issues of accepting new friends. It's your choice what you decide in the end, but I don't think it's worth it.

    White.1656

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facebook was originally started so that individuals had a social networking site to go to. Now facebook has become a huge social networking site that individuals all use differently. Most use it to stay in contact with new and old friends. Others use it to check up on people, or like some employers use it for background checks. I understand how employers can use it and see it as helpful, but I also do not think it is necessary. Some individuals that have facebook profiles can be very hard working individuals who can get the job done, but on the weekends when they are not in the office or working on anything work related like to be out with friends having a good time. I feel that because of facebook people have to always be on guard about what they say or do. I do however think that it is a good idea for facebook to provide a quick learning process about privacy and to also make sure users are aware of any changes that are made so that everybody can always be protected at all times.

    weasel.4

    ReplyDelete
  6. Facebook is like a double-edged sword. It is a great technology, but can be harmful at times. I've often joked with my friends about quitting Facebook and never using it again because it seems nothing ever good comes out of it. One of the biggest issues involving Facebook is employers using it for simple background checks like you talk about in your post. Employees have to be aware that anything they put out there is public and anyone can see. I was a manager at a pizza shop and found it astonishing that many of my employees would friend request me on Facebook and then later bad mouth the store or post about such an awesome concert they went to after calling off earlier in the day because they were sick. People have to be brighter about their use of Facebook.

    green.1078

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree anymore. Facebook has completely changed the way that people communicate, interact, seek jobs, find partners, etc. I personally believe that Facebook has honestly ruined the security of peoples lives. Peoples lives are out there for everyone to see with Facebook giving them the ability to list what their exact relationship status is, where they work, who their family members are, where their hometown is, and where they are living. To me, it's scary to think people list all those things on there. Regardless if your account it marked private, I feel that somehow there has to be some type of loop-hole for all the nerds out there to crack the privacy walls.

    butcher.129

    ReplyDelete